Development cost calculatorOnline Cost Calculator
When hiring a developer or outsourcing a team of specialists, most clients agree on the fixed cost for each type of service. You as a user of our development services can pay a fixed rate per hour, week or month of work. If you are wondering now, “How much does it cost to develop my app?”, our online calculator is at your disposal. Find out how much your app will cost in under a minute!
Choose a specialist
Choose a specialist you have in mind to work on your projects. We have a wide range of experts to empower your business with the benefits of the digital world - from business analysts and managers to engineers.
Specify all the details
Specify the currency you want to pay in - USD and EUR are currencies available on our website. Besides, mention the number of specialists you need and how long you'll need to work with them.
Look at the prices
Look at the average cost of services on the market and the cost of our services. Keep in mind that all the prices are approximate. Contact our software experts for more detailed information.
How Much Does It Cost to Develop an App?
Want to build an application for your business project but don’t know how much money you need to pay for high-quality development? If we take the average hourly rate of $40 for a developer, we’ll see the following numbers - a basic application with simple features will cost around $10,000; moderate apps will cost between $40,000 and $70,000; and the cost of complex apps will go beyond $80,000. You can orient yourself with these numbers, but nobody cancels cost breakdown - elements that comprise the total cost. What are these factors that may affect the final price for custom app development services? We are ready to share this information so that you could keep abreast of an issue - how much it costs to make an app today. In this case, an application means not only a mobile app that today’s users are used to downloading from the Internet to order a meal or book a hotel. For us, developers, it is a piece of software that does a particular job on any electronic device - be it a computer, mobile phone or other devices. Let’s focus on the cost of app development services based on the following points:
7 Factors to Consider
1. The Cost by the Application Complexity
The average price for app development is around $37,913-$171,450. Having these numbers in mind, you can plan app development costs accordingly. But you should determine the complexity of your application. There are three main app categories in regard to complexity like simple, moderate, and complex. Considering an hourly rate for app development services in the market, approximate spendings are displayed in the table below. Generally, app development costs depend on the business goals and what you want to get as a result - whether it’s an app with complex features and functionalities to process payments or a simple one that is created for personal use. The app complexity varies from industry to industry because different features and technologies are used. Below, you’ll find out how much it costs to design the app for the following industries:
62% of people use e-commerce apps like Amazon or eBay on their digital devices to make their shopping more convenient and safe. So, the e-commerce industry seems quite a future-oriented sphere to launch your app because you’ll have a huge scope of clients: from online markets to personal users. The price for creating an e-commerce app might be between $30,000-$80,000. If you need more advanced features, be ready to pay more money.
Apps based on financial services are e-wallets, trading, exchange, and investing platforms. These apps are becoming popular today - only in the USA, their use is estimated at 55%. They are aimed at simplifying financial transactions in banks, real estate, e-commerce, etc. The development cost of financial apps starts from $60,000 and may be more expensive if some more additional custom functions you want to add.
Start building your next level brand now!
Apps developed for logistical purposes are used in warehouse management systems, inventory optimization software, trucking applications, and driver time management. Their aims are helping with location and asset tracking. Logistics app development is estimated at around $50,000. In some cases, you’ll pay a higher cost if your app needs to be more progressive or have unique features.
Healthcare & Sports
There is a tendency to maintain physical and mental health. These apps offer health-related services - fitness activity tracking, diet and nutrition planning, hospital selection and appointment management, electronic medical records systems, etc. The range of costs for healthcare & sports apps is from $20,000 to $50,000. Keep in mind that these numbers may change if your requirements are special for the project.
2. The Cost by Types of Apps
Desktop, mobile, web, and enterprise are types of apps to be considered for development. Before you start thinking about an app for your business, you have to decide what kind of apps is widely used among your target audience. Is it going to be a desktop app? A web app? A mobile app, which is very popular today? Or do you want web developers to work with a cross-platform tool where your apps can be easily adapted to work on any kind of device? Choosing the right platform is a situation, where you have to know your audience. So, let’s explain all app platforms in detail. We’ve prepared approximate costs for the development of each app so that you could get oriented in numbers before ordering development services on the market. Certainly, these numbers aren’t exact as every single case is unique and requires a more detailed analysis and estimation.
Desktop applications aren’t in demand currently in contrast to mobile ones. But they function without the Internet connection, which is their advantage over the other apps. If your target audience uses personal computers in office settings, desktop apps will be a good choice. Such apps as Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) are those apps most users have on their desktops and laptops. So, you can develop an office software suite, data storage platforms, etc. Will this app be developed for Windows, Mac, or Linux? Keep in mind that each operating system has its own set of commands to perform various functions on a computer - opening and saving files, sending, receiving and processing data, and so on. All the requests are submitted through an Application Programming Interface (or API for short).
A mobile application is a type of app software developed to run on mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers. They are usually small and have individual software units with limited functions. Among the top mobile apps, there are Uber, Instagram, and Snapchat. Like desktop and web apps, mobile ones are designed for devices with different operating systems (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc.) that have their own tools, APIs, and languages. There are three types of mobile apps that you can apply to - native, web, and hybrid. The number of mobile app users was increased - 2,1 million of Android and 2 million iOS apps - were available in 2018. If you have an idea of developing a mobile app, our Mangosoft’s experts will gladly assist you in this process.
Enterprise applications are software system platforms that operate in governmental and business spheres. There are several types of these applications like Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Enterprise Asset Management (EAM), Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) and other record-keeping or Big Data processing systems. This software has a group of programs shared with employees inside a company or any other organization. Content management, resource planning, business intelligence, sales force automation, business process management are the key services provided by this system.
There is one great solution if you want to have an app worked on multiple platforms or software environments - cross-platform development. The key idea is that an application is supposed to work well in more than one specific digital environment - be it Microsoft, Android, Apple or any other platforms. Different versions of the software program are compiled for several operating systems to fit it to them. Also, developers implement application programming interfaces (APIs) to apply a software part to the required platform. Mind the following advantages as cost-effectiveness, UX consistency, and larger scope of the market.
Porting is the process of adapting software or its part in an environment where it hasn’t been originally developed. The software can be portable when the cost of porting is less than developing code from scratch. Developers claim that porting doesn’t require much time to apply it to several platforms, which is beneficial for app owners as well. With porting, it’s easier to cover a wide range of customers. Differences in operating systems and design adaptation require to use porting today. Making your app adaptable to a new platform is a crucial step, and our developers will guide you through the path of reaching a wider range of users.
Mobile platforms (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS)
Web browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari)
Personal computers or laptops
Types of Mobile Apps
Up to 4.8 billion people will use mobile phones in their daily lives by 2020. About 47% of people have a computer at home and 3,9 billion of them use the Internet. Seeing this data, you can orient yourself in the app development market and what’s the most effective for your business project. For example, mobile apps hit all rates in downloads - 194 billion downloads that were done in 2017, and they would generate a revenue of $935 billion by 2023. Mobile app development seems to have good prospects. But don’t ignore another available option - the personal computer. The statistics of 2019 shows that 44% of people use computers worldwide. Analyze your target audience and come to the best solution. Sometimes it’s hard to decide what’s better for the given industry. Alternatively, you can rely on our experts and enjoy the final results. Mobile apps grow in popularity among users. In 2017, they were downloaded 178 billion times. In general, there are 3 types of mobile apps that you can try out:
- Native apps are designed for iOS, Android or other mobile platforms with special operating system-specific features. There app stores such as Apple’s App Store and Google Play from which users download these apps. They are easily accessible from any mobile store that helps you reach a target audience fast. The native features of a particular mobile operating system will contribute to the positive user experience. The good examples of iOS and Android native apps are ApplePay and GooglePay or Google Drive. The average cost for native app development is estimated at $60,000+.
- Web apps are stored on remote servers, and a user can get access to them without downloading them. A URL redirects clients to use them. The whole web app development process is complex, and it includes such elements as security, time loading, performance, accessibility, and quality assurance tests. The approximate web app development price is $30,000 - $250,000. Besides, get familiar with Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) that are evolving the way web apps used to be - they fit any device.
- Hybrid apps is a blend of native and web solutions. These apps are the best if you strive to reach a wide target audience for your business. Hybrid apps have a native wrapper with a web view component. Twitter, Instagram, and Uber are the well-known hybrid app examples. To develop a hybrid app costs less than $50,000. The pros of these apps are low price and fast development, while their cons are the lack of performance and speed optimization.
3. The Cost by App Functionalities
- The final development cost depends on the features that will be used in the app.
- It’s a feature when a user should be registered and logged in the app, and it could be done through e-mail, phone, or social media accounts. For a developer, an average time to create a user login is nearly 25 hours, and its costs range from $800 to $1,000.
- It’s a necessary element for the app since navigation displays a user journey on it. Also, navigation helps explore how a person uses a product. It takes nearly 60+ hours to build navigation through an app, at an approximate cost of $2000-4000.
- They are the core of every app to inform, engage and attract users. In particular, the push notifications might increase purchases up to 10 times more. A developer might spend nearly 40-160 hours, and the price ranges from $1,400 to $6,000.
- It’s an interface element widely used in Apple’s iOS orientation. The average time spent on the development of this functionality is 30 hours, while the cost is $700-$1,000.
- This feature is essential for taxi booking, traveling, business, lifestyle and other apps. With a GPS function, it is much easier for users to find places that interest them. It requires 40-60 hours to design geolocation at a rate starting from $1,300.
- It is created for the app to take geographical bearings in the locality. The costs start from $1,400, and it takes up to 40 hours to design it.
- This functionality is important for the app because it intends to generate sales through direct communication with users. The total cost for creating the chat is $2,000-4,000, and the approximate time for its development is more than 120 hours.
- Promotional ads aim to generate income for the apps, and they include banners and pop-ups. It might take nearly 20-50 hours to design these features at a cost of $1,000-2,500.
- They are all the purchases made within an app paid for subscriptions, premium services, and features. It takes up to 30-40 hours to develop in-app purchases at a price from $900 to $1,500.
- It is a link between a user’s card and an issuing bank to accept payments online in an app. In general, it takes nearly 80 hours to implement a payment gateway integration at a price of $2,500-$5,000.
- It’s the fastest way of getting the Internet-based content before it has been downloaded by a user. A developer spends up to 30 hours to add a streaming feature, and it costs from $1,500 on average.
- The development process may take more than 80 hours to allow applications to work in more than one language, and the price ranges from $2,000 to $4,000. This strategic approach will help your business reach more markets in the world by delivering personalized services to customers.
- It’s useful for the app because it helps a user not lose information about the activities made in the online mode. The offline mode allows a user to get files without the Internet connection. It starts from 40 hours to build this feature, and it goes for $1,300-$2,000.
- The search requests help users find what they want in the app quite fast. A developer has to spend up to 10 hours to design the basic search feature, and the cost may range from $300 to $700.
- This function allows users to change the look of an app interface (themes, colors, styles), select a language, add new features, automate some processes. Customization takes nearly 35 hours to be developed at a cost of $1,500.
- When a user leaves a device unplugged for a long time with a screen off, a doze mode appears. A developer needs to spend more than 50 hours to create this feature. The total cost ranges from $1,600 to $2,500.
- It protects data from unauthorized access, that’s why this feature is important for the app. It is estimated at $2,000 and $4,000 to implement this data encryption, and it takes nearly 60 hours.
4. The Cost by App Technologies
- Java is a widely learnt programming languages, which comprises 41,1% of shared use among developers. The advantages of Java development are code portability and high security. Nasa World Wind is the app’s example created by Java developers that allows every user to observe the Earth from a satellite view. If you want to know how much the app development in Java costs, base yourself on the average hourly rate of a Java developer, which is $35.
- Python is a programming language used among 41,7% of developers in the world. The main benefits of Python development are processing and storing large amount of information, and these features are important for machine learning, Big Data, and AI areas. An hourly rate of a Python developer is $29.
- PHP is also widely used in app development. The technological trends in PHP development are cloud integration, accelerated mobile pages, IoT technology, mobile wallets, and smart chatbots. WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal are content management systems developed by PHP developers. Other than that, CRM applications are built with PHP. So, if you think to create CMS or CRM, you can hire a PHP developer, but you should bear in mind that an average hourly rate of this professional is $25.
- Blockchain development has become quite popular recently, and the market demand for blockchain developers is also growing. By 2021, it is estimated that the blockchain market will reach its spending for $9,7 billion. The benefits of blockchain development are high security and reduced costs for transactions. On average, the hourly rate of a blockchain developer is $33.
- Ruby on Rails development has become popular thanks to Model-View-Controller architectural pattern used to build user interfaces. The key advantages of Ruby on Rails are the high scalability and simple web architecture. An hourly rate of a Ruby on Rails developer is $21. Ruby on Rails is used to build e-commerce, enterprise apps, CRM/CMS/ERP and more.
5. The Cost by App Design
Design is a vital step for every app development. It’s not only how it should look like, but it’s mostly about its functionality and user experience. As UX (user experience) design investigates the way of user interaction with the app, UI (user interface) design represents it in a visual form. The more UI features your app has, the more expensive app development will be. The approximate cost of common UI design is assessed at $1,500 to $9,000. As a whole, it might require nearly 40-300 hours to design an app.
Stages of UI Design:
UI design encompasses various activities in app development like prototyping, researching, and testing. Let’s discover what every stage of UI design is supposed to result in.
- This stage of the UX design process includes competitor’s analysis, marketing trends, and client’s behavior. On average, the whole process might take up to 60-80 hours of work and may cost up to $2,000.
- It’s a process of designing a preliminary version of a product that helps test the usability of an app. The examples of app prototypes are represented in sketches, wireframes, and mockups. In general, prototyping takes 40-80 hours and may cost up to $1,800.
- It assesses whether an app is worth being displayed in the market. UX designers use A/B testing tool and interviews for this stage, and it is required to spend at least 40 hours and $1,200.
6. The Cost by the Team Size
The number of team members and their qualifications determines also the final app cost. Well, it seems logical: the more employees work on the project, the more money is spent. For instance, a basic team of 4 members might cost nearly $90+ per hour on average, whilst a pricing rate of the extended team that has 7 professionals starts from $155+ per hour. So, let’s find out what specialists can join the app development process.
A basic development team is comprised of:
A team for large projects consists of:
Outsourcing companies, freelancers and in-house employment are 3 options you can make use of. if you don’t know how to hire developers, consider these options. So, let’s have a look into them closely.
An hourly rate is the main difference between in-house employment, outsourcing agency, and freelancing. For example, in-house developers receive about $44 per hour, the same employee from an outsourcing company charges $36 per hour, and a freelancer developer earns $28 per hour.
The quality and time are the other important factors that influence an app development process, and you need to think through them carefully. When you work with an agency or have in-house employees, there is a guarantee that your app will have top-notch quality, but you have to sacrifice with your time to find a reliable specialist or an agency. All these points cannot be said about freelancers who can deliver their work fast and with poor performance.
It gives you freedom of choice - choose a specialist based on the budget you stick to. With this freedom over workers, you get the flexibility of human resources - if you aren't delighted with the work of a particular freelancer, you can also find another to get better results.
You are short of warranties that are crucial for the final results. There is no guarantee that the development project will be completed on time and at the best possible level. You don’t sign up any documents on freelancing platforms to get these guarantees.
From outsourcing companies, you get minimum risks of being misguided in the development process. You outsource a team of developers with proven expertise - pay attention to business cases, reviews of a company you’re going to address.
You depend on the company you start working with - it concerns the time zone the company is located in, the staff the company recruits, the cost of services and other conditions (but all of them are agreed upon beforehand). In some way, the rates can be high, but you always can choose the most affordable ones.
When all specialists needed for app development are gathered in an office, it is much more effective to manage them and reduce some risks like document storage and access, internal collaboration in the team, and other issues.
If you still get together the whole team of specialists to work on your business project, be ready to pay income taxes, the office rental, and other expenses such as insurance, team-building activities.
7. The Cost of App Maintenance Services
Imagine that the app development process has been already finished, and you’re ready to launch your product. You think that you’ve just climbed on a mountain’s peak, but in reality, it’s only a big start of hard work, which is called app maintenance. So, you need to consider its costs as well apart from app development to increase your business productivity, flexibility, and scalability. An average cost for app maintenance ranges from $10,000 to $50,000+, which may comprise nearly 50% of the initial cost of app development. App development is only a start, and the “develop and forget” principle doesn’t work in this case. Like any machine, apps should be maintained all the time to be operable. That’s why maintenance services are important for further progress in the business - all updates will be made and all errors will be fixed on time.
Wrapping Up – How Much Does It Cost to Develop an App?
So, the app development cost is influenced by such factors as app complexity, team size, industry, functionalities, technologies, design, and maintenance services. It’s quite tedious work – as you need to estimate your budget, know what features your app should have, and on which platform it should be launched. If you want to discover how much you should spend on app development, use our development cost calculator – where you can orient yourself with approximate prices.
But don’t limit yourself to prices that you have in your local market – the global IT industry has options where you can find professionals who will help you out with app development. Also, you may choose what type of cooperation you want to establish with them: whether it’s freelancing, outsourcing, or in-house employment.
Look at hourly rates, review the company’s reputation, and be acquainted with rough prices for app development in the market.
Struggle to find professionals for app development? Don’t be discouraged as you can always rely on our qualified expertise. Mangosoft has extensive experience in app development applied to any desktop, web, and mobile platform.
Contact us whenever you need help and join the community of our satisfied customers!
Build your perfect
app with Mangosoft
Our technology is at the tip of your fingers. Make a click and take it. Reach out to us!
By sending this form I confirm that I have read and accept Mangosoft Terms and Conditions